Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Hubba Bubba Bubble Blowing Contest

When I was about 10 or 11 I was in a Hubba Bubba Bubble Blowing contest. It was at our local mall and my Stepmother took me. It was quite an experience!
First of all, I was just so excited to be there. It felt so important for some reason. A really big deal, in my mind anyway.
So I'm anxiously standing in the line. My heart was pounding fast, I was downright nervous! They began to pass out one piece of gum to each contestant. I still remember the smell  as I unwrapped it. Such a sweet smell! Once unwrapped, it had almost a powdery coating on it. I popped it into my mouth and began to chew. I was on my way to winning this contest!
There were at least 10 kids in front of me, so I had time to practice blowing bubbles. As I practiced, my nerves began to calm because I was blowing some huge bubbles! I kept practicing and watching the people in front of me as they took their turn.
Suddenly I was not only calm, I was getting a little cocky too and I asked for a second piece of gum to add to my first. They complied and as soon as I put it in my mouth, I thought I may have made a mistake. My bubbles were no longer easy and big. They were thick and small! My nerves started to get the best of me again.
Finally it was my turn. I stepped up on the small stage. My palms were sweaty!
You had to blow a bubble and the judge had a circular type of ruler. I had never seen such a thing. But it was in the shape of a C and would expand smaller or larger.
So I did it. I blew a bubble. A tiny, thick, non winning bubble. POP it was over just like that!
No, I was not a bubble blowing winner that day. But I did not leave upset. I left learning that less is more and that if I ever had the chance to be in another Hubba Bubba Bubble Blowing contest, I would only chew one piece of gum.
 I've not yet had the opportunity to claim that award but that's alright by me because this was a  fabulous experience in my youth that created a memory that I cherish!

2 comments:

  1. Amy thanks for taking me back to my youth with your stories. And how sad is it that they are in the process of taking down our old stomping ground. That entire area is like it didn't even exist, Chouteau is demolished and everything on it from the stop sign at the bottom of the big hill heading south.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sad about Antioch Mall!!! So many memories there for me. The bowling alley, I worked at Showbiz and had 2 hairdressing jobs there! Man so many memories in one spot. How about those Christmas decorations every year with the white scene with those white Reindeer Ahhhhhh Sweet

    ReplyDelete

Arthur's Theme

Arthur's Theme (Best that you can do) ...This song has a way of sweeping me off to another time and place. It starts in my childhood an...