Thursday, July 5, 2012

Ramona Quimby, My BFF

When I look back at my early childhood I have to remind myself that in the midst of a family torn apart by divorce and turmoil, there was a bright and imaginative little girl. Me.

I think of the painful things often, but even more often than that, I think about the good things. I think about Ramona Quimby. If she and I had ever met I am certain we would have been best friends forever because she was the only person who could possibly understand me.

I would check out every Ramona  book from the library in my youth and carry the memories with me forever. Even now. I would sometimes stay up late in my room reading about her adventures! We were the same age afterall and how could I not want to be just like her?

From the time she squeezed an entire tube of toothpaste into the bathroom sink out of sheer frustration to the time she got her hair shampooed, cut and styled by a real hairdresser, at a real salon! Wearing her pajama's to school, you name it, she experienced it! I found myself having very similar events in my own life.

One time my Mother took me to a hair salon and I felt just like Ramona! The shampoo smelled so good and was so relaxing to have my hair washed by someone else. When I was done and styled I kept running up and down the ramp from the waiting area to the salon area, glimpsing in every single mirror at my new hairdo!

Once, in 4th grade I was at school. It was a lucky day, we got to watch a movie in class! I remember sitting in the corner of the classroom at my desk. It was a dark and rainy day outside and I was right next to the window enjoying the scene of it all. I felt so cozy. I was wearing a friend's jacket. Not just any jacket, this was a baby blue satin jacket with pink sleeves and a giant roller skate patched on the front of it! The best jackets from my youth indeed! Once again, I was feeling like Ramona.

 I realize now that my love for Ramona Quimby actually arose from amazing writing. I mean, that is a sign of an extraordinary writer, someone who can make you feel like your IN the book with the characters. Feeling, smelling, tasting every written word. That is what inspires me. That is creativity at it's absolute best. Stirring emotions without even a photo! Amazing.

So thank you Beverly Cleary for sending me Ramona Quimby, my best friend forever.

2 comments:

  1. You made me remember Jo March and Nancy Drew! Both, my friends. As an only child living on a farm out in the middle of nowhere, I had two kinds of friends: my animals (I had lots of those) and books. The art of writing so vividly is never lost in our memory, is it? Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you shared your thoughts here! I bet living on a farm had lots of perks but I bet you had to be extra imaginative too! To me the written word can be so comforting, fiction or otherwise! I mostly read non fiction now days but I'll cherish my childhood memories of reading. Thanks so much for leaving a comment :)

      Delete

Arthur's Theme

Arthur's Theme (Best that you can do) ...This song has a way of sweeping me off to another time and place. It starts in my childhood an...