Monday, September 3, 2012

That song just blew my MIND!

We've all been there. That moment you hear a song for the first time and it leaves you absolutely speechless. You try to explain it to someone...and they just don't get it. You're like "It was all neer neer neer guitars, and waa waa waa vocals and I was just jammin..."

All the while, the person you are trying to get to feel the same emotion as you is just standing there like you have lost your mind.

I understand all too well, the euphoria that a song can give a person.

Take for example a moment in time, somewhere around 1990, shared by two people who barely even knew each other.

The people were me and a guy named Shawn. I was a sophomore in highschool, he was a senior. We knew each other, but barely.

I was in front of my highschool, in the smoking area before school. I saw him walking toward me from the parking lot. Not toward ME necessarily, but the school.

I could see it in his face, though, he was looking for someone. Anyone! Someone he could unleash his pure joy onto!

He was wearing a tshirt and faded Levi's (I'm guessing). His hair was blondish brown, kind of feathered on the side in a very cool way. When, suddenly it was me...I was the lucky person he chose to share his music moment with.

He began to tell me that he  had just heard THE most amazing song his ears had ever heard. There were no words to the song, only instruments. He said he parked his car and just sat there until the song was over and he didn't want it to end.  It was so moving, he said,  it brought tears to his eyes!

That was really the end of our conversation. School began and we never spoke of it again.
But I was on a mission to find out this song. It took me a few years, believe it or not before I even heard it myself.

Are you just dying to know the name of the song?!

Well before I tell you, I want you to know that I cherish these small moments in life. Now, more than ever. The element of surprise is slowly fading in our society. Technology robs us of any suspense or waiting. We can type in a single word and discover volumes of information. Instant gratification.

As I said, it took me two years to figure out the song. I had something to do for two whole years, a mission of sorts. It was an amazing little journey and when I finally heard the song I said "That HAS to be it!" But even then I did not know the name of the band. It was all too much, I could barely stand how close I was but still was not sure.

Luckily by that time I was able to ask a friend since the song had been out for a while. I was able to experience the same emotion as Shawn. I got to share with my friend this amazing song I had finally heard but still did not know the name of.

When he told me, I was like "Aahhhhh" Exhale, finally but what an adventure it was!

Such small things in life are what I am after every day. That feeling of amazement and discovery.

The End......Got ya! The name of the song is Cliffs of Dover by Eric Johnson ....Amazing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Arthur's Theme

Arthur's Theme (Best that you can do) ...This song has a way of sweeping me off to another time and place. It starts in my childhood an...