Monday, October 1, 2012

Pumpkin Carving Party

When I was growing up, there were lots of parties in my house. Summer parties, Saturday Night Live parties, Monday Night Football parties, Christmas parties, family reunions. Birthday parties. Parties just to get wild and crazy. You name it, we celebrated it.
But my favorite party of all was my Dad's famous pumpkin carving parties every October.

He loved to make the house smell like pumpkins and apple cider. He would make brilliant appetizers to feast on. People could come in and out at their leisure. Eat, drink and carve. The house was always inviting and guests filled each room.

He would get his carve on long before the guests arrived. He made incredible free hand drawings, mostly faces and did a technique where you just carve half way through, not all the way out. I know this is common now days, but back then, not so much. People were in awe of his pumpkins.

His parties started in the 80's and went well into the 90's. My friends always looked forward to going to my Dad's pumpkin party! A good time was had by all.

When I grew up and moved out of the house, he carried on his pumpkin party tradition for a few more years then finally threw in the towel.

But that didn't stop me from carrying on the tradition, no sir! Well for a few years it did. I had a lot of single life living to do. Lots of partying to get out of my system before settling down. But that would all change the moment I met my husband.

We met and fell in love quickly. Well I did anyway. I moved in with him less than a year after meeting him. He lived in another state as me but that didn't stop me. I always tell people that cupid went and bitchslapped my heart! It was about time, really. I was in my late twenties already so I was happy to start settling down.

So the first year we lived together I told him about my Dad's tradition and how much it meant to me. He was on board to carry it on! We decorated our trailer (yes our love nest) from floor to ceiling in Halloween decor. We went all out with some good food. And we invited a whopping 2 people! But they came! And she brought her son, so  bonus.

The mood was set and we carved our pumpkins and had a blast doing it! I still have pictures from our very first pumpkin carving party of our very own.

Each year since, our parties have grown bigger, as has our family. We look forward to it every year and we are now approaching our 12th year.

I want to thank my Daddy so much for this tradition, from the bottom of my heart. I cherish the memories he made for me. And I adore making new ones for my family!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Arthur's Theme

Arthur's Theme (Best that you can do) ...This song has a way of sweeping me off to another time and place. It starts in my childhood an...