Wednesday, November 28, 2012

An Underoos Christmas

Christmas memories from my childhood bring me so much joy! Growing up in the 70's and 80's meant I had first dibs on some of the best toys ever invented, the funnest catalogs to browse, the coolest Christmas ornaments and the best Christmas displays around.


Here I am getting my very first Strawberry Shortcake doll for Christmas! This was probably right around 1980 to be exact. This was a FABULOUS Christmas. I was at my Dad's house for my bi weekly visit. My brother was there too. That is my loving Grandma behind me there in the photo. This Christmas not only did I get my wonderfully scented Strawberry Shortcake doll, I also got my first, and only, set of Underoos! I had Wonder Woman and I remember jumping up and down with excitement to get them! I tried them on immediately and thought I was the bomb diggity. You can see from the next photo that my big brother also got something quite trendy and very 80's....a Stretch Armstrong! And here he is playing tug o war with my Stepmom.

Another wonderful Christmas was not long after this one. This one was at my Mom's house. We went to bed on Christmas Eve and couldn't wait to wake up and run down the stairs to find our presents! The same stairs mind you, that my brother tumbled down once after watching the movie Jaws! We watched that movie and he went upstairs to go to bed and saw where my Mom had placed her mannequin head on the bannister ledge. It scared the wits out of him and after a shriek he went tumbling down!! Good times....Anyway, this year we ran down those stairs to our tree and to dig into our Snoopy stockings and before my wondering eyes did appear.....A Barbie dream Winnebago! Oh my this was the gem of all gems. It had a shower, a kitchen, bedroom you name it it was pimped out!


By the time I lived with my Dad full time, the 80's were in full swing! Our local mall was called Antioch Shopping Center. I would grow up having many lifelong memories from that mall. I went there regularly my whole childhood. Shopping, bowling and as a teen and young twenty, I had jobs there! I loved Morrow's nut house, it had the best macadamia and cashew nuts! This is also the mall I told you about in an earler blog where I attended the Hubba Bubba bubble blowing contest! But the best time to go to Antioch mall....was at CHRISTMAS!! I'm telling you it was old school magic! The winter wonderland was a looooong stretch of glistening white. White snow, white reindeer, white railing and white plastic chain link to keep you out of the magical area. It had giant presents with bows and then of course Santa's seat. It was such a wonderful place to be. I sure wish I had a photo to share with you but my 110 camera was probably out of film at the time ;)

In closing I would be doing you a major disservice if I did not describe to you THE most magical place to be during Christmas and that was at Penguin Park. The park I grew up going to my whole life. The park with the giant penguin, elephant, giraffe, wobbly bridge, fire engine....it had it all. And at Christmas it was transformed literally into a winter wonderland! Everything was lit up with Christmas lights, giant presents were added, Santa's workshop appeared and my favorite thing of all, there was a giant Santa hat atop the mighty Penguin's head!

Now I realize I am very  blessed to have such wonderful memories of Christmas. I know so many who do without. That makes my memories even more treasured to me. But please understand the reason I place so much value on my memories is because I also had a lot of sadness in my childhood. So these magical moments in time made it all worth while!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL!!!

9 comments:

  1. you have to be very close in age ( I am def older born in 1967) and that Dorothy Hamill hair cut ...I rocked that too...thanks for sending me down memory lane...I had a Cher doll, and baby alive and Farrah fawcett head for hair & make up and one of those dolls whose hair grew and retracted by a bell button "button" LOL....all my pics like this are in Mass at my dads...I am in GA but my next visit I am so getting ALL my pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful to hear you say this!! The older I get the more nostalgic I become LOL! Thank you sooo much for sharing your memories I would love to see that Cher doll! Hope you get all your pics soon they are such treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I don't know how I forgot to mention that each year in middle school, we got to take a trip to the Mo Rep theater and see A Christmas Carol!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would LOVE that camper!! I always wanted one......Love all the pics. I want a Camper now, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That thing was soooooo cool. I don't have it anymore but I have the memories LOL

      Delete
  5. What a fun post!!!

    I've been following you on Facebook - now I'm your newest follower here... Love vintage Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Jill, thank you so much!!! I am so glad you are here and I love vintage Christmas too!!

      Delete
  6. I do the same thing as you - try to focus on the good memories since there was also a lot of sadness in my childhood. Fortunately, during our growing up years, there were a lot of really cool toys out there which was a nice distraction from all that was going on in the world and our lives at the time. That Barbie RV was awesome and I always wanted one! If we had grown up on the same street, I think we would have played together! I hope your Christmas this year is full of happy memories, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chloe I love that you understand me! So many sad memories from childhood as well. The shining points were the toys, the pop culture, movies, books and music! If I didn't recall those things I would only remember the bad! When I think of what was going on in the world at that time I am able to remember some really good times too!
    Thank you so much for reading and responding but mostly, understanding me! Merry Christmas to you!!

    ReplyDelete

Arthur's Theme

Arthur's Theme (Best that you can do) ...This song has a way of sweeping me off to another time and place. It starts in my childhood an...