Saturday, January 5, 2013

Things are not important. I love things.

The title of this blog post "Things are not important. I love things" sounds like a contradiction....maybe it is. But let me try to explain what I mean by this.

I am not one to idolize things of monetary value. The more it costs, the less I want it. Besides a safe home and vehicle of course. But I mean the things I collect such as vintage cookbooks, bakeware, etc. I often refer to my "things" as treasures and the reason I do this is because yes, these are just things but they were once a homemakers things.

Maybe the woman who once owned it is no longer on earth, but yet I can still feel her because I have her cookbook, or her mushroom canister set, or her Christmas record that she adored while sipping egg nog. Maybe it belonged to my very own Grandmother or maybe it belonged to a complete stranger. Either way, she did exist and the item I have of hers, proves it! She used these very items with her own hands. This connects me to her in some way and I love that! She is teaching me things while not even saying a word.

I also treasure my "things" because they were gifts from loved ones. They know how much I feel disconnected to the world of today, but very connected to the world of yesterday. I'm sure though, if I were alive back then, I would feel the same disconnect. I don't want to live in the past, I've expressed that in detail in other blogs. But I do need to feel connected to the past because it has so much to teach me. And my favorite memory of the past is of homemakers. Women, wives, mothers, activists.

When I feel overwhelmed by today's world, I just look to the past because those times were WAY harder than now. Suppression, oppression, judgement, abuse, ignorance, violence were all rampant. But yet the woman of yesterday persevered. They were not perfect, they may not have always been happy in their situation, but they kept going. They are my teachers. They have taught me more than any school teacher ever has. So when I am blessed with a "new" vintage cookbook or household item from the past, I am learning yet one more thing! I will never go backward but I will always LOOK backward to learn what to bring FORWARD.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this post - it resonates with me so much. I try to stay unattached to material things, and yet I feel that it's good to enjoy/appreciate things at the same time. It's interesting because, for the most part, our generation has had to move around/relocate a lot - both during childhood and in adulthood. This means that we have had to leave a lot of our toys and things behind. It is always so cool to walk into a Goodwill or Salvation Army store and find something from the early years of my life that I had to part with (like a Little Golden book I used to read). If I decide to buy it, then I love knowing that I have something that belonged to another person in my own generation - a person who probably knew a lot of the same struggles and joys as I have. If I don't buy it, it is just cool to see these things sitting on the shelves (like an early 80s mini tea party set or a School House Rock record) because it reminds me that we have never been alone - that we have all experienced the same things in life together - even the Saturday morning cartoons we watched. The way we can sometimes feel the presence of the person who previously owned something is so fascinating - I wonder why that is, and I know exactly what you're talking about - I have noticed and sensed that, too. Looking backward is a good thing when it brings us forward - and that is a profound concept. It's so interesting how these things - these pieces of the past - can connect us with both our own generation, and other generations as well.

    ReplyDelete

Arthur's Theme

Arthur's Theme (Best that you can do) ...This song has a way of sweeping me off to another time and place. It starts in my childhood an...