Thursday, August 8, 2013

Inspired by Savannah & Taylor Swift

I awoke this morning to the soft sounds of rain. I looked out my window and where the sun should have been, there were dark storm clouds. Perfect blogging weather!

Opened up my facebook page where I saw the normal uninspiring reposts, complaints, but also some good mornings and cheerful statuses. It's always a mixed bag.
Then I saw some posts from my niece, Samantha. I always perk up when I see what she is up to in the big wide world! (She and her sister are kind of amazing)

She was posting photos of her evening at a Taylor Swift concert she attended with her cousin, Savannah. The photo that brought a tear to my eye, yet a smile to my heart was one of little miss Savannah, teary eyed as Taylor took the stage.

You see, I didn't much care for Taylor Swift when she first hit the scene. That was until a few years ago when I learned that little Savannah liked her music so much. I say little Savannah, when she is actually a young adult, but will always be little Savannah to me. I don't see her often and I'm sure she thinks of me as just another grown  up. But she has a heart of gold and I figured if she loves Taylor, then Taylor must be a good seed.

Taylor Swift has so far been much more sincere, talented and inspiring than many of the people I looked up to when I was growing up. The musicians and actors I adored were always drunk and on drugs! When I became an adult, enter the world of Vh1 and learn all about the turmoil and chaos in their lives, usually created by themselves. When I started learning the private lives of so many of my "role models" I was startled. I really didn't want to know these bad things about the people I admired. It was a rude awakening but of course, a lesson to be learned.

I learned that I need to be careful of who I allow my children to consider role models. I don't find that too difficult actually. I am their role model. Their father is their role model. Their grandparents, etc.

I have taught them that celebrities are never, ever to be their role models, but they are just as important as role models and I'll tell you why.........INSPIRATION. Being inspired to do good things, amazing things, difficult things is so important. They might encourage you to become something really great in life. Something a role model might not inspire you to do.

When I think of my children, my nieces and nephews and sweet Savannah, I hope I am able to be both, role model and inspiration!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely blog post and tribute to your niece! My daughter is also a huge "TayTay" fan. The songs are sweet and sincere. It could be worse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww Tay Tay, that is so cute!!! Thanks for the comment xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Arthur's Theme

Arthur's Theme (Best that you can do) ...This song has a way of sweeping me off to another time and place. It starts in my childhood an...