Thursday, September 10, 2015

A is for Apple

My dear friends I want to talk to you today about....Apples. With the fall months approaching there is already talk of pumpkin this and pumpkin that. But I want us to take a moment and remember the true star of late summer/early fall and that star is, the apple.

Now, those of you who know me know I'm fall crazy. I loooove it so! But I also believe in celebrating each season. There is something magical to be found in every stage of every season. (Except late winter, oh I do NOT like me some late winter)

When I was in elementary back in the late 70's and early 80's we used the whole month of September for apples. Learning about apples, counting apples, apple picking, apple crafts, apple everything! Those are precious memories for me.

You see, when we skip apple season and go straight into pumpkin season we are essentially destroying the lost art of anticipation. Anticipation seems to be a long forgotten word in today's society. We get everything we want at the stroke of a computer button or drive through coffee place, or bakery. I certainly don't want to tell others how to live, but I do want to tell you how I live and I love anticipation. Love, love, love, LOVE it!

I love September 1st. It reminds me that the hot days of summer are almost over. We get to look forward to cooler months ahead and enjoy apple cider, hoodies, campfires and of course, pumpkin. But September offers it's own rewards. If you take time to slow down life you will find yourself less stressed. Less rushed. Maybe even a little....happier?

So if you can, for little old me, take time to enjoy life and all it has to offer. Take time to think about the apple and what it actually represents. To me, it represents a lovely time in my childhood. A time of excitement knowing what was to come AFTER apple season. If you don't bake much or aren't super creative, that's ok. There are small things you can do to enjoy the season. Burn an apple scented candle or wax melt. Bake some simple apple muffins or maybe even an apple cake.

My hope for you is to anticipate the upcoming Autumn season while enjoying the present.  The present is all we really have and it is precious--- xoxo Amy


No comments:

Post a Comment